Monday, July 6, 2009

A disillusioned child voter

While the folks around me groan about the upcoming elections, I can't help but feel the electricity of excitement buzz throughout my body. Since I was a child, I have been peppy about the election season; seeing all the fervor of campaigning and vote counting thrilled me more than watching cartoons.

Growing up, I counted the years to when I would cast my first vote, when my ballot would be one of the millions tallied before my eyes on TV. I was so excited about it, so much more than with dreams of someday getting wedded to my one true love. My parents warned me not to get too hyped up lest I get terribly disappointed.

Warning: This man might be planning to run for president.
* censored to protect the identity of the accused *
* edited from a public domain photograph, taken from Wikipedia

Twelve years and one election later, I found out that they were right. I was so excited all my life for this?? I now ask myself.

Looking back, I suppose I had envied my maternal grandfather. A dutiful Kapampangan, he never missed participating in the polls, despite having been dead since 1988.

And blame it on good ol' marketing, too. The elections on TV have been glamorized. On TV, the precincts were clean and orderly. There were well-spaced desks for the voters to sit comfortably in. Folders have also been provided for each desk, so that everyone can write his/her votes in secret.

But the truth, as always, was far from that.

(to be continued)

Update: continued on this post: sucky side of suffrage

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me